Stress is a natural part of our day-to-day lifestyle. It is our bodies’ defense system. When we sense a danger – such as a vicious dog ready to attack – our bodies will release adrenaline and other chemicals that make us instantly alert increase our stamina and strength and speed up our reaction time. This is the positive side of stress and it can be utilized for short-term goals. For instance, some people seem to be able to get work- related projects completed much easier when time is of the essence and they are working under the gun.
On the negative side, if stress is prolonged it can result in frustration and anger, which may eventually cause depression. There are also a variety of health problems that can develop such as ulcers, body pain and headaches, insomnia, high blood pressure and on the serious side, heart disease, stroke and even Cancer!
The plan is not to totally eliminate stress, which is impossible, but rather learn how to manage it and use it to motivate, without overwhelming us.
The following are some suggestions to help you manage your stress. So… even if your day begins at the crack of dawn and doesn’t end until past midnight, you can still easily incorporate these tips into your daily life to help you manage daily stress better, so it doesn’t get the better of you:
- Exercise – it may seem like the idea of a 30-minute jog or brisk walk is just added stress but in truth it is one of the best stress relievers around. Set your alarm clock a half hour earlier and make it a daily routine just for you.
- Learn to say no – If you are feeling like you are juggling too many things at the moment and someone asks something of you that you really don’t have the time or energy to do, just say NO! If you have trouble doing that without feelings of guilt, remember practice makes perfect, the more you say it the easier it will get.
- Delegate – Have your significant other get dinner started , or get the little ones to set the table. It is really OK to ask for help, even if you are a parent – you don’t have to be Super Mom or Dad.
- Make sure you get some regular “ME” time- Do something you enjoy such as a weekly massage or lunch with your best friend.
- Learn to meditate – According to a Psychology Today article Neuroscientists have found that test subjects that meditate on a regular basis change their brain activity to different areas of the cortex – brain waves in the stress-prone right frontal cortex move to the more tranquil left frontal cortex. This decreases the negative effects of stress, mild depression and anxiety.
- Get proper sleep – some of us need at least eight hours or more to function at our best but others can thrive on less – find the amount that works for you.
Give yourself a break and make it a daily habit, even if it is for only a few minutes. Take this time for yourself and it will not only benefit you but everyone around you.
If you are having trouble dealing with and managing the stress in your life, I can assist you to move from where you are to where you want to be. Usually this involves resolving issues and/or fears from the PAST or about the FUTURE. I help you become fully present NOW so you always are in the right place at the right time following your bliss. To schedule a FREE 30 minute consultation click here
Remember what is in your life is also in your business! If you are dealing with pain and stress in your life a Soul Sound Session can be very useful in helping you let go of any subconscious blocks, limiting beliefs, and improve all aspects of your life, including your business! To schedule a FREE 15 minute orientation session please click here
*These statements and suggested products or services have not been evaluated by Health Canada or the Food and Drug Administration. This blog post is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.